Sorry! Howie has have moved! The new URL is: (function() { (function(){function c(a){this.t={};this.tick=function(a,c,b){var d=void 0!=b?b:(new Date).getTime();this.t[a]=[d,c];if(void 0==b)try{window.console.timeStamp("CSI/"+a)}catch(l){}};this.tick("start",null,a)}var a;if(window.performance)var e=(a=window.performance.timing)&&a.responseStart;var h=0=b&&(window.jstiming.srt=e-b)}if(a){var d=window.jstiming.load;0=b&&(d.tick("_wtsrt",void 0,b),d.tick("wtsrt_","_wtsrt", e),d.tick("tbsd_","wtsrt_"))}try{a=null,window.chrome&&window.chrome.csi&&(a=Math.floor(window.chrome.csi().pageT),d&&0=c&&window.jstiming.load.tick("aft")};var f=!1;function g(){f||(f=!0,window.jstiming.load.tick("firstScrollTime"))}window.addEventListener?window.addEventListener("scroll",g,!1):window.attachEvent("onscroll",g); })();

Saturday, June 25, 2005

Bible Study at Hooters: Sell My Clothes I'm Goin' to Heaven!

Rick Lamborn, my new favorite Bible study leader, began meeting at a Hooters in Kennesaw Georgia four years ago. Single Focus Atlanta is the ministry that meets at Hooters. I've got to admit though, when I went on their website I was very disappointed when I clicked on the calendar.
Their philosophy:

When people meet in groups or one on one...------------Are you kidding me?

  • No one is treated as being right or wrong------I think I got the wrong order. Didn't I order a Bud Light? OOPS! Sorry, my bad.

  • No one will be judged for what they do or say------------But staring is frowned upon.

  • All can participate as they are----Drunk, sober, wing sauce on your chin...that's still OK.

  • Everyone will be treated with Dignity, Honor and Respect -----So no looking down the waitresses shirt!

6 Comments:

At 10:19 PM, Blogger D.R. said...

Im sorry, but isnt that like asking alcoholics to meet at a bar for a Bible study. I know of no man who wouldn't be distracted from a Bible study by a Hooter's girl, much less a whole slew of them with hot wings and beer in their hands.

 
At 8:34 AM, Blogger Howie Luvzus said...

Amazing isn't it? My biggest problem is that these Christians don't understand how demeaning the whole Hooters concept is. The whole point of the restaurant is to objectify women. Would Jesus want that?

 
At 11:22 AM, Anonymous Thirdlayer said...

Matthew Chapter 9 verses 10-13 indicates that Jesus would not be intolerant of this type of ministry:
10 And it came to pass, as Jesus sat at meat in the house, behold, many publicans and sinners came and sat down with him and his disciples.
11 And when the Pharisees saw it, they said unto his disciples, Why eateth your Master with publicans and sinners?
12 But when Jesus heard that, he said unto them, They that be whole need not a physician, but they that are sick.
13 But go ye and learn what that meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice: for I am not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance. (KJV)

The Contemporary English Version translates:

10 Later, Jesus and his disciples were having dinner at Matthew's house. Many tax collectors and other sinners were also there. 11Some Pharisees asked Jesus' disciples, "Why does your teacher eat with tax collectors and other sinners?"
12 Jesus heard them and answered, "Healthy people don't need a doctor, but sick people do. 13 Go and learn what the scriptures mean when they say,'Instead of offering sacrifices to me, I want you to be merciful to others.' I didn't come to invite good people to be my followers. I came to invite sinners." (CEV)

 
At 3:03 PM, Blogger D.R. said...

Thirdlayer,

Im sorry, but I think that you made a huge hermeneutical jump from eating with fellowshiping with people who were considered unworthy and actually having a Bible study at a place where men will be tempted to not only lust, but also to think that like howie indicated its ok for women to be used as sex objects for the selling of hot wings. Sorry, but honestly it is a demeaning thing to women.

See Russell Moore's article on Hooters here . . .

http://www.henryinstitute.org/commentary/read.php?article=20050510&arc=1

It is rather revealing. No pun intended.

 
At 8:46 PM, Blogger Elle said...

Wow. I'm all for moving Bible studies out of the typical churchy setting, but Hooters objectifies and demeans women. Pretty sure Jesus wouldn't have been ogling women and supporting sexist attitudes at a Torah study.

 
At 5:00 PM, Blogger Precept Lady said...

Well, my son has a friend (Bobbie) that attends these "Bible Studies", but let me tell you that I heard out of Bobbie's mouth that a "Bible" was not required at these studies. Bobbie described one of their meetings...He said they never discussed scriptures and only told stories that sometimes dealt with Jesus. I ask you, why is it even called a Bible Study? In order to have a Bible Study, I am thinking a Bible is REQUIRED! Just another example of leading people astray from the WORD!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home