Sorry! Howie has have moved! The new URL is: (function() { (function(){function c(a){this.t={};this.tick=function(a,c,b){var d=void 0!=b?b:(new Date).getTime();this.t[a]=[d,c];if(void 0==b)try{window.console.timeStamp("CSI/"+a)}catch(l){}};this.tick("start",null,a)}var a;if(window.performance)var e=(a=window.performance.timing)&&a.responseStart;var h=0=b&&(window.jstiming.srt=e-b)}if(a){var d=window.jstiming.load;0=b&&(d.tick("_wtsrt",void 0,b),d.tick("wtsrt_","_wtsrt", e),d.tick("tbsd_","wtsrt_"))}try{a=null,window.chrome&&window.chrome.csi&&(a=Math.floor(window.chrome.csi().pageT),d&&0=c&&window.jstiming.load.tick("aft")};var f=!1;function g(){f||(f=!0,window.jstiming.load.tick("firstScrollTime"))}window.addEventListener?window.addEventListener("scroll",g,!1):window.attachEvent("onscroll",g); })();

Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Flippin’ Fundamentalists Have Ruined My Baptist Denomination!

I’ve read a lot lately about how proud Baptists are about the success of the “conservative resurgence.” They talk about the “liberals” that needed to be run out of the convention. I’ve had enough. You knuckleheads that weren’t there before 1979 (the year the take-over started) quit reading books by the conservatives and listen to me for a bit. After all, you wouldn’t trust Michael Moore to give you a fair and balanced view of George W. would you?

In 2005, the Southern Baptist Convention is a buzz over the Resolution on Public Schools. Don’t know if it will pass or not, but Al Mohler suggests that Baptist should prepare an “exit strategy” for removing their kids from the atrocities of public schools. Here’s a brief excerpt of the resolution:

  • “WHEREAS, Jesus taught that any individual who teaches children contrary to faith in Christ, it would have been better to let them drown with a millstone around their neck (Matthew 18:6); and
    WHEREAS, the public school system in America is against Christ in that it seeks to offer a thoroughly secular education—How dare public schools offer a secular education!

Now, let me show you a resolution at the 1979 Southern Baptist Convention:

Resolution On The Crisis In Education: June 1979

WHEREAS, Southern Baptists historically have been strong supporters of public education, and
WHEREAS, Southern Baptists have been deeply committed to the right of all children to achieve their God-given potential, and
WHEREAS, The American public school system is now facing its most serious crisis in history, due to the complex issues of communicating moral values, financing, family breakdown, discipline, the "back to basics movement," racial desegregation, and church-state problems, and
WHEREAS, Many Baptists occupy administrative and teaching positions in the public school system,
THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED, That Southern Baptists be urged to pray regularly for those teachers and administrators who work faithfully in the public school system, and
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, That while recognizing the validity of the ministry of church-related private schools, Southern Baptists be urged to become more involved in shaping and supporting public schools, participating responsibly wherever possible in the local school and in the decision-making bodies which determine the course of public education, and
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, That we hereby commit ourselves to help achieve quality education for every child in this nation.

Wow! Those damn liberals in 1979 wanted quality education for every child. How horrible! I’m so ashamed! If only they knew that Jesus wants Christians to be self-centered, self-righteous, holier-than-thou isolationists. Jesus wouldn’t want us to be involved in the lives of others, or provide religious instruction for our children in our homes or churches. Surely, Jesus would want us to say to hell with them, I don’t want to be around sinners!

Furthermore, look at this awful liberal resolution proposed the same year:

Resolution On Inflation: June 1979

WHEREAS, A new wave of inflation has gripped the world, stealing from everyone with especially tragic consequences for the poor, and
WHEREAS, Among the underlying causes of inflation are human greed and irresponsible spending, and
WHEREAS, The Bible commends responsible stewardship of all human resources,
Therefore be it RESOLVED, That we encourage Southern Baptist churches to give renewed emphasis to Christian stewardship as a powerful anti-inflationary force in the world, and
Be it further RESOLVED, That we plead with both business and labor to lower their demands for unreasonable price and wage increases and that we plead with churches, governments, and charitable organizations to increase their efforts to help the poor who suffer most acutely from inflation, and
Be it finally RESOLVED, That we pledge our personal commitment to shun a life style of conspicuous consumption and to pursue a life style of responsible Christian stewardship and self-sacrifice.

Holy Crap! They cared about the poor! They didn’t want us to be so concerned about buying stuff that we forgot about the needs of others! Bet that Hummer-driving Christian at the Baptist Church in my neighborhood would be appalled at such Godlessness! Didn’t George W. encourage Americans to go shopping after 9/11 so that we could maintain the American way of life? Sounds like the poor liberal bastards in the convention in 1979 couldn’t have been good Christians…I mean Americans…I mean Christians.

Let’s not stop there! The Resolution concerning migrant farm workers stated, “That we commit ourselves as individuals, to enhance these efforts by seeking and providing additional creative ministries that meet the total human needs of migrant farm workers.” PLEASE! Bleeding-heart Liberals! Thank God they are gone!

Oh! A couple more for you young Bible-Thumping…Uh, Believing proud conservative Baptists out there: Therefore, be it RESOLVED, That we reaffirm our belief that every human being has a right to freedom from hunger, and…Be it further RESOLVED, That we express to the United States Congress our strong support for an overseas development assistance program which will help those who are hungry and not merely line the coffers of the already privileged elite, and Be it finally RESOLVED, That we encourage Southern Baptists to engage in strong and active Christian citizenship efforts to alleviate hunger.” Glad that liberal crap’s over with so we can “spread freedom”!

OK, OK, OK… One more, because this one KILLS ME! “THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED, That we call on all Southern Baptists to practice stringent conservation efforts as an important part of Christian stewardship and witness, and BE IT FINALLY RESOLVED, That we pledge our cooperation with both government and industry as they seek to devise major new initiatives in the development of safe, clean, and renewable energy forms.” These wackos sound like Green Party morons don’t they! PRAISE GOD AND PASS THE AMMO! You new guys ought to be so glad that you didn’t have to listen to that ignorant crap that goes against all that Jesus taught!

Since 1979 Baptists have really got it right! Since that time, Baptists have passed 11 resolutions about homosexuality. You’d think they would know you hate them by now!
Last year’s resolution says it all: On Twenty-Five Years Of The Conservative Resurgence: June 2004 WHEREAS, Many faithful men and women made sacrifices to lead the conservative resurgence; now, therefore, be it RESOLVED, That we express our appreciation to those who have courageously led us back to our historic biblical moorings and extend our appreciation to those elected and employed leaders who now effectively maintain a Christ-centered emphasis in life and work within the Southern Baptist Convention.”

Yep, you’re a lot more Biblical now. Condemning homosexuals, withdrawing from schools rather than caring for the children in them that are not related to you, commending George W. on—“RESOLVED, That we commend President George W. Bush for his statements in support of a Federal Marriage Amendment; and be it finally
RESOLVED, That we challenge pastors and leaders within the Body of Christ to support and faithfully promote a Federal Marriage Amendment.” Oh, yeah, he forgot about that once he had your vote!

Do I sound bitter? I am. But, I think Jesus got pissed too when those he loved were being abused by self-righteous Pharisees. You brood of vipers! You hypocrites!

9 Comments:

At 3:10 PM, Blogger Precept Lady said...

So, don't you think it is just more than the Baptist? I certainly do.

 
At 3:17 PM, Blogger Howie Luvzus said...

Huh?

 
At 8:12 PM, Blogger D.R. said...

So Howie you moved? What happened to Dewie Haitum? New name, same ole vitrolic language and bad logic. We need to sit down and have an old fashioned head to head debate about some of these issues. What do you say?

 
At 8:38 PM, Blogger Howie Luvzus said...

Vitriolic? Yeah, I know. I'm trying to be good, but sometimes I get upset. Notice I didn't single anyone out this time. Unfortunately that means I painted broad strokes. That might be worse. I really wasn't trying to be mean in the Dockery post. I always get too emotional at convention time. As you can see by my pic I've had a rough week.

I welcome your comments about my flawed logic. I really do want to speak out against harmful actions that Christians engage in that might hurt others.

I just read your thoughts on the convention and found them thoughtful, and hopeful. I'm looking forward to hearing your views!

 
At 9:27 AM, Anonymous adam said...

howie, thanks for stopping by my blog and posting your thoughts. many of us are concerned w/ the trajectory of where this seems to be going. while the "battle for the Bible" was a good thing in "reclaiming" Scripture as authority, it almost seems like those who "fought" that battle (their terminology) are carrying it out to a dramatic, dangerous and unaccountable end...

 
At 7:36 PM, Blogger Elle said...

I don't get how can a group that (at one time) at least partially understood Jesus' social gospel can now completely reject it and preach against it. Yup, they sure are Biblical...

BTW, feel free to talk about my sandbox posts. : )

 
At 3:48 AM, Blogger Ravyne said...

Hey Howie! Thanks for stopping by my blog and posting a comment. So glad to see that there is a Baptist out there showing the hypocrasy behind the ultra-conservative movement taking place in the Baptist movement these days. Just a little background on me: I gave up being a Baptist when I saw the hypocrasy in our Pastor who preached against nearly everything (music, dance, wearing make-up, wearing jewelry, etc.) and then when his own daughter ended up pregnant, he couldn't find it in himself to condemn her. I moved on to a Mormon branch where I lived and many years later was shunned by the entire congregation because I divorced my non-Mormon husband. I was totally turned off by Christianity for a long time. Now, I am a practicing Buddhist (with some Wiccan and Taoist leanings) and have found myself more in harmony with the teachings of Jesus than ever before. I am thankful for my spiritual journey that has led me to my new revelations on Jesus' teachings, and although I will never again join a Christian church, I am able to discern between those churches that live and breath the teachings of Jesus from those who just spout right-wing rubbish. Thanks again! I will visit often!

 
At 12:42 PM, Blogger grandma1 said...

How can you express disagreement with Bruce Prescott and his blog on SBC and still post this on yours. Bruce is only trying to express the problems with the present leadership of the SBC. After being a Baptist for 62 years I can no longer be proud of being one. My membership may be with a Baptist church but I no longer attend because of the present atmospere. Having retired from a public schools job, I can tell you the one I worked in did not discuss sexual orientation. Schools do not have enough time to teach the basics without trying to teach sexual orientation. Don't make teachers job harder then they are.

 
At 1:27 PM, Blogger Howie Luvzus said...

Grandma1,
Thanks for stopping by! I disagree with Southern Baptists' position on education. However, I also disagree with Prescott's leap of logic that says that SBs encourage gay bashing. I don't think such rhetoric is helpful. I can identify with Prescott in many ways because I am deeply disturbed by what has happened to the denomination I was raised in. I'll also admit that in my anger I also go over the line sometimes. But, I'm not a spokesperson for a denomination or movements. Folks like Prescott and Mohler must realize that they need to refrain from such vitriolic (thanks D.R.) language in order to be taken seriously.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home