Sorry! Howie has have moved! The new URL is: (function() { (function(){function c(a){this.t={};this.tick=function(a,c,b){var d=void 0!=b?b:(new Date).getTime();this.t[a]=[d,c];if(void 0==b)try{window.console.timeStamp("CSI/"+a)}catch(l){}};this.tick("start",null,a)}var a;if(window.performance)var e=(a=window.performance.timing)&&a.responseStart;var h=0=b&&(window.jstiming.srt=e-b)}if(a){var d=window.jstiming.load;0=b&&(d.tick("_wtsrt",void 0,b),d.tick("wtsrt_","_wtsrt", e),d.tick("tbsd_","wtsrt_"))}try{a=null,window.chrome&&window.chrome.csi&&(a=Math.floor(window.chrome.csi().pageT),d&&0=c&&window.jstiming.load.tick("aft")};var f=!1;function g(){f||(f=!0,window.jstiming.load.tick("firstScrollTime"))}window.addEventListener?window.addEventListener("scroll",g,!1):window.attachEvent("onscroll",g); })();

Thursday, August 11, 2005

Beautiful Young Girls!

Terrible ain’t it? I bet I get a thousand hits today because of my “provocative” title. As I flipped through the channels this morning to find Cold Pizza, I ran across a Jessica Simpson video. Yeah, I watched it until it was over. It sickened me. Maybe because I’ve been reading too much Feminist Theologylately, but probably because Shirley and I have a little girl who loves to dance. I can’t handle the fact that my daughter may come to believe that she is important simply because she can attract the opposite sex. I’m not going to get into the “how we got this way” mode. It doesn’t do anybody any good.

I’m just so furious right now that my Christian brothers and sisters and I have been so silent on this issue. Conservative Christians seem to totally miss the point here. They seem to condemn Jessica Simpson’s actions because they encourage lust. That’s really not the point. Men really don’t need that much encouragement to lust! The problem is that the obsession with plastic surgery, big tits, and hot women is that we cease to see women as human beings created in the image of God. I long for the days of Murphy Brown! Oh, Dan Quail where are you now? What about those Desperate Housewives? Aren’t they worse? Where are the feminists?

Our culture is so obsessed with materialism and consumerism (don’t really know if they are too different) that it’s now OK to see persons as products. Better “package” yourself nicely or you’re not worth anything! This mindset will further stratify the human race. Poor folks usually can’t afford to dress too well. Sometimes they can’t afford to straighten their teeth or enhance their “assets.” That will provide those who can afford to make ourselves beautiful an even easier way to write them off and ignore them. We make ourselves more beautiful in so many ways. We drive expensive, stylish cars and vehicles that destroy the planet. We wear expensive clothes to show others that we are better than everyone else. We spend enough money on coffee each week that we could feed an entire family in some places. Then we brag about how much we love coffee so we will appear cool. Yes, you goatee wearing Emergers I’m talking about you!

The website that displays the above picture as an example of a Beautiful Young Woman states the following: “The Beautiful Girlhood Collection is our most ambitious project yet. We aspire, by the grace of God, to encourage the rebuilding of a culture of virtuous womanhood. In a world that frowns on femininity, that minimizes motherhood, and that belittles the beauty of being a true woman of God, we dare to believe that the biblical vision for girlhood is a glorious vision. It is, in fact -- a beautiful vision. It is a vision for purity and contentment, for faith and fortitude, for enthusiasm and industry, for heritage and home, and for joy and friendship. It is a vision so bright and so wonderful that it must be boldly proclaimed. We are here to proclaim it.”

I don’t really agree with their view of womanhood, but it was refreshing to see a different view than the one being espoused by our current culture. Come grow with me as I seek ways to encourage my daughter to become truly beautiful!

For another perspective read the following article about the "fat Dove women."

Thanks again Becky! You rock!

7 Comments:

At 1:08 PM, Blogger D.R. said...

Howie,

I agree with you that women in our culture are continually be told that their worth is tied directly to their ability to be attractive to the opposite sex. I think that women like Jessica Simpson and Brittany Spears have been very negative role models for the future generation by selling out to the cultural pressure and allowing their bodies to be put on display. Simpson's father, who should be protecting her, left his church and his job as a music minister not only in order to promote her career, but also because many people in their church felt that Simpson should cover herself up more when she sang in front of her church. Her father disagreed, reportedly stating that God gave her those "assets" in order for her to use them. This is a sick, twisted view of God's goodness. Yes, He made men and women attractive so that companionship and love would be that much better, but He did not do so for the purpose of self-promotion. Those "assets" are for the enjoyment of her spouse and her spouse only, not for millions of men who care only to oogle over her body and ignore her soul.

But I don't think feminism is the answer. I think it is ridiculous that the feminist movement has been hypocritical in this regard, but I don't think they offer the solution. The solution lies with men -- men who will have the integrity to not buy into the lie and will slough off the sexual culture and will seek to be good husbands and caretakers of their families and who will raise their daughters with love, showing them that it is not conditional based on their appearance. When women find unconditional love from positive men like their fathers in their lives, they won't look to men who simply desire to know them for their bodies.

Thanks for bringing attention to this. It is a worthwhile cause.

 
At 5:50 PM, Blogger Becky said...

I don't think you know that much about feminism (and I don't mean the extremists) to so summarily dismiss it like you have, d.r. But, I'm an unabashed feminist/equalist, so I'm a bit biased.

Happy to oblige, Howie. Check out my latest rant on Focus on the Family. :)

 
At 7:58 PM, Blogger D.R. said...

Howie,

I really want to answer your post on Prescott's blog, but I think he will delete if anyway. He may not delete the comment you responded to, but honestly I think that is a good thing.

I will respond here and if you don't want to leave it, you can read it and then delete it. That would be perfectly fine with me, just as long as you get to see it.

1) Mohler is definately not alone in Church history with his assertion of 6 day creationism. I am not sure that is the best interpretation, but it does take guts to hold it these days. The Answers in Genesis folks do honestly make some good cases for it scientifically (especially from the perspective of paleontology and geology). Still, I don't think he is out of his mind (otherwise men like Spurgeon, Edwards, and a host of unbelievably great thinkers are in the same condition). I think you would have to read or listen to his explanations for holding that view before you dismiss it out of hand. Otherwise you are doing exactly what you are preaching against -- thinking critically and responding logically.

2) I don't think it matters what non-Christians think of us because we dismiss evolution. Evolution has some serious flaws. Hopefully you know that. It cannot explain much of what it claims to. ID has actually been a vehicle to lead many scientists to Christ, as well as many college students (in that regard they are following Christ by using reason to lead many to faith, just as the early apologists did). The problem is that many scientists dismiss it without consideration and then use strawman arguments to "show" that it is wrong. I think Christians who claim to believe in a Creator should quit assuming evolution and actually start reading some of the evidences ID uses. As a thinking Christians I think it is your duty to have all the facts. After all you are a theologian and not a scientist right? So why are you so convinced evolution is right? Likely it is because you believe what evolutionary scientists teach (most of whom have no faith in any god). What if their presuppositions have been wrong all along? Wouldn't that bother you? I think you owe it to yourself and to your hearers to do the hard work of research before you pass judgement. And trust me, don't you already think that non-Christians think we are stupid for believing that God incarnate came to earth to die for the sins of His people so that they might have eternal life and that one day Christ will return to redeem all things to Himself? That makes ID look tame by comparison.

 
At 8:49 PM, Blogger D.R. said...

Howie,

Back to your actual post. Here is an article that I found a few months back and just rediscovered. I thought it would be appropriate to post the link. From the wisdom of a child:
http://wittingshire.blogspot.com/2005/04/on-boys-and-bikinis.html

 
At 7:26 PM, Blogger Howie Luvzus said...

I wouldn't get a flue shot each year if I thought they were wrong.

 
At 2:15 AM, Blogger john_m_burt said...

The Vision Forum's agenda for American boys is pretty creepy, too. A nice generation of fighter pilots and/or suicide bombers, basically.

 
At 3:42 PM, Blogger D.R. said...

Howie,

I thought I published a response to your last comment, but maybe I didn't hit the button correctly.

In regard to viruses, the are first of all not "alive" in the sense that creatures who supposedly evolved from single celled organism are. Their resistance to vaccines is more legitimately micro-evolution than a sign of macro-evolution. See the following article for a better explanation,

http://www.ideacenter.org/contentmgr/showdetails.php/id/848

 

Post a Comment

<< Home