Sorry! Howie has have moved! The new URL is: (function() { (function(){function c(a){this.t={};this.tick=function(a,c,b){var d=void 0!=b?b:(new Date).getTime();this.t[a]=[d,c];if(void 0==b)try{window.console.timeStamp("CSI/"+a)}catch(l){}};this.tick("start",null,a)}var a;if(window.performance)var e=(a=window.performance.timing)&&a.responseStart;var h=0=b&&(window.jstiming.srt=e-b)}if(a){var d=window.jstiming.load;0=b&&(d.tick("_wtsrt",void 0,b),d.tick("wtsrt_","_wtsrt", e),d.tick("tbsd_","wtsrt_"))}try{a=null,window.chrome&&window.chrome.csi&&(a=Math.floor(window.chrome.csi().pageT),d&&0=c&&window.jstiming.load.tick("aft")};var f=!1;function g(){f||(f=!0,window.jstiming.load.tick("firstScrollTime"))}window.addEventListener?window.addEventListener("scroll",g,!1):window.attachEvent("onscroll",g); })();

Saturday, September 03, 2005

Black Folks from New Orleans Aren't Bad!

I just watched councilman Oliver Thomas rant about how evacuees are being turned away from Louisiana shelters. He believes that the perception is that all black folks from New Orleans are lawless.

Let me say two things here:
1.If your family hasn't has food or water for five days and the stores are closed--Are you really a looter if you seek food and water?
2.The media loves to sensationalize everything. Thus, I believe that people from NO are no better or worse than folks anywhere. I'd open my home if I still had one to a black family from NO at any time.

Don't stereotype and condemn. When you do that, it's so easy to write off hundreds of thousands of very good folks who need your help.

8 Comments:

At 4:39 PM, Blogger martyduren said...

Hey Man,
Glad to hear that your house survived, and more importantly, your friend Mike. God bless.

 
At 6:25 PM, Anonymous J. Ross-Hillard said...

Howie,

I'm glad to know you got the hell outta there. Know that I am praying for you and your family and the entire city (my extended family). I hate being sentimental(spell checker broken). Be safe and let me know if you need me to write you a recommendation. Could you share your comments on Xavier and its process of the storm and its impending future. It seems to me that while the other Universities and colleges are offering to take students in under the auspecies that they would be reimbursed from Xavier once she got back on her feet, Xavier is saying that it will not repay the schools because their students can make up the fall semester in January (and who knows if the school will be inhabitable by then. Share your thoughts.

 
At 6:49 PM, Blogger Marty said...

Martyduran above said your house survived. So glad to hear that news. You and your family have been in my prayers constantly. Most of the refugees the Red Cross is sending to us are "black". They aren't criminals for God's sake, they're just poor, hungry, tired and in need of a shower. Most that I have talked to are not planning to return to NO. We are in it for the long haul. Pray for a steady stream of volunteers.

 
At 5:43 AM, Blogger Howie Luvzus said...

Justin,
Good to hear from you. I'll hopefully talk to Homan in the next couple of days. I can't get in touch with any other department members yet. I'm headed to NO now. There's a convoy of persons in my neighborhood that will head to the Westbank tomorrow. If you hear from Malik or any other of our majors let me know. Thanks for your prayers.

Love you and keep you in my prayers also.

MG

 
At 1:34 PM, Anonymous J. Ross-Hillard said...

Be safe. From what I hear, the looters are still in the area and break-ins have been reported. Make sure your with someone don't go alone.

 
At 6:42 PM, Blogger Becky said...

Thinking of you and your family.

 
At 4:52 PM, Blogger Marty said...

Hi Howie,

One of those "black" NO folks came into the church office today and started singing to those of us in there in appreciation for all we've done. Oh my! What a voice! Ronald brought me to tears. Gospel, acapella, written himself, from deep deep down in the soul. I've never heard anything quite like it. We asked him to sing Sunday morning and he obliged. What a blessing that will be!

 
At 7:11 PM, Blogger sandy said...

I have no problem with anyone taking food and other items to survive. What I find disgraceful is the looters taking TV's, Tennis shoes and jewelry.

Most of us realize it was a small percentage of the NO residents that did the crimes, but it did happen and it did not make NO look good.

The first finger to point should be directed to your local government.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home