Sorry! Howie has have moved! The new URL is: (function() { (function(){function c(a){this.t={};this.tick=function(a,c,b){var d=void 0!=b?b:(new Date).getTime();this.t[a]=[d,c];if(void 0==b)try{window.console.timeStamp("CSI/"+a)}catch(l){}};this.tick("start",null,a)}var a;if(window.performance)var e=(a=window.performance.timing)&&a.responseStart;var h=0=b&&(window.jstiming.srt=e-b)}if(a){var d=window.jstiming.load;0=b&&(d.tick("_wtsrt",void 0,b),d.tick("wtsrt_","_wtsrt", e),d.tick("tbsd_","wtsrt_"))}try{a=null,window.chrome&&window.chrome.csi&&(a=Math.floor(window.chrome.csi().pageT),d&&0=c&&window.jstiming.load.tick("aft")};var f=!1;function g(){f||(f=!0,window.jstiming.load.tick("firstScrollTime"))}window.addEventListener?window.addEventListener("scroll",g,!1):window.attachEvent("onscroll",g); })();

Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Katrina and Dial-up Internet: A Lesson in Priorities

Blogging has become increasingly challenging for me. What do I write about? If I demonstrate that a certain group isn't doing their job, someone hits me with the fact that someone else isn't doing their job either. THANKS SCOOP! No one is doing a great job except those who are actually working. The Red Cross is doing a really crappy job, but the volunteers fed me and gave me MREs. FEMA's doing a crappy job, but I did get a check. The New Orleans police & Firefighters, the Army, the National Guard have all done very well, but there has been mass confusion as well.

I could write 24 hours a day about good things and bad things. I still wouldn't get a lot done and say all I want to say because I'm on FREAKIN' DIAL-UP!

But here's the thing...Last night, Shirley and I watched Howie Jr play football! He's on the football team here at the locat high school. They call him "hurricane boy" or "New Orleans" (sure beats Katrina!) and have shown a great deal of southern hospitality. We had a blast. We would not have this opportinuty in New Orleans because only a raving lunatic would want to go through spring practice in the New Orleans heat and somehow swatting mosquitoes during a football game seems totally inappropriate to me.

Dial-up has shown me how little my opinion matters. Katrina has shown me what's truly important. Praise God from whom all blessings flow!

3 Comments:

At 9:16 PM, Blogger joe kennedy said...

I understand a little bit man. I've got broadband here, but I'll be cut off from the world for at least a month when I start at NOBTS in a week or two. I'm not even bringing the computer. I hate that. I feel almost, naked without it. Sad. At least I bought a couple journals the other day. I'll be able to write some thoughts down anyway. But at least we'll be able to help people out.

Oh, and I'm not sure exactly where you live, but the team I was going to be on in Covington has moved to River Ridge. Too bad I won't be with them. I explained that in my post, but anyway. Have a good one. I hope Howie, Jr. whips a little high school football butt. Peace.

 
At 7:28 AM, Anonymous fairmoon said...

hi! i haven't spoken to you for a while. I guess it's sorta dumb to say "how ya doing?

It sounds like you'be been super busy with life and haven't wandered around the internet a while, so maybe you haven't read my posts recently.

I wanted to share with you my sisters story.

Last Wednesday she got on a bus from Vancouver BC went to Seattle, where she Ran for a plane to atlanta, and then got on a other plane to go to New Orleans.

why? because she volunteered to help with the Animal rescue/shelter down there. Her team of Twelve got one day of work done, before being evacuated to Baton Rouge, because of Rita.

She had her team had been staying in an Army supplied tent, when a woman from baton rouge heard that they had no where to go, she offered her house. She didn't know any of them, but she brough all twelve of them to her house. My sister slept on her dinning room floor.

I talked to my sister yesterday, she sounded better rested than the day before and was completely blown away by what she had seen and the generiousity of strangers.

it's just a little story, but i wanted to share it with you.

blessings to you day,
Fairmoon

 
At 8:14 AM, Blogger tom cottar said...

Howie,
great site, bro. ...and I feel your pain. We're moving today and my friendly neighborhood SBC customer service rep called at 8am this morning and informed me that our new house (1.5 miles away) is out of their DSL area---back to dial up. Suck.

Hope things are well in Rooster Poot. I lived in a neighboring community, Goat Dung, for about 1 1/2 years ministering at First Baptist Church from Hell.

On behalf of all the Southern Baptists that seemed to have screwed you over...I'm truly sorry.

Blessings, bro.
tom

(Did you notice I didn't use the word "ya'll" ? Not even once...)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home